Wednesday 8 May 2013

Drinking Habits!

No, I'm not going to confess to a drinking problem. Well, actually, I am.  I have a "bad choice of drink" problem.  Let me explain.  My daily drinks are basically 2: diet soft drink and coffee.  I used to drink plenty of coffee, especially if I'm stressed out which only made me more stressed because of the caffeine which made me drink more.  Diet soft drinks on the other hand were my drink of choice.  I used to not be able to eat a meal without having a glass of diet coke or something of the sort.  And when I had my days were I felt guilty for drinking so much soft drinks, I would shift to flavoured sachets you add to water which are just as bad.

Now I'm a very healthy eater, I eat veggies everyday, I don't eat fried food and I try to eat only homemade stuff, no frozen foods.  So obviously, this drinking issue had to stop.  Now I'm not saying I don't drink coffee or soft drinks, but I've found a couple of substitutes which are way better and I honestly feel fresher and less full of caffeine.

I love water.  I can drink 2 litres a day easily but that got a bit boring and after reading of the benefits of ice cold lemon water, I gave it a go and I must say, I'm addicted.  You basically pop a couple of ice cubes in a tall glass, chop a lemon into chunks, leaving the skin there for extra flavour.  Make sure you wash the lemon properly of course.  Add water, let it set for a minute or two, and enjoy.  This is so refreshing that it takes away my soft drink craving and makes me top off the glass over and over.





That's my substitute for soft drinks.  To find a substitute for coffee was way harder.  I'm addicted to the stuff and can drink it over and over.  I thought about tea, though that gives cellulite so I opted out.  Then I tried green tea but the colour alone made me sick and the taste was horrible.  Then I remembered a few years ago  a friend of mine had suggested I drink warm water with some honey, lemon and ginger if I feel a cold coming.  So I tried that, and coffee and I broke up.  This drink is so soothing that I just had to switch to it.  Of course keep the honey to the minimum if you're watching your weight, but it's natural stuff so it's already a step forward.  I honestly can't go to bed without my little mug of honey, lemon and ginger now.



Coffee is still a friend though and we do occasionally rekindle our relationship, only for a short while though.  Keep that between us! ;-)

Claire



No comments:

Post a Comment