Friday 1 March 2013

Not a Review: Life of Pi.

Hey there! I've never written about a movie here before, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Last night me and my boyfriend decided it's time to get our Films to Watch list out and pick a movie from it.  With the Oscars just over and having watched both Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, we had 4 major films remaining; Life of Pi, Wreck it Ralph, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty.

We decided on the first one.  Now I'm not going to say much or else I will ruin the whole story (hence the blog's title being 'NOT a review') plus it's a bit of a complicated story so I can't actually talk about it without giving much away.  Just to give an idea of what it's like, think Avatar meets Cast Away meets a film with an animal as a main character.  Now I'm not a fan of the whole Cast Away style movies, they tend to be a bit on the boring side for my tastes, but the animation in this movie is so beautiful that you just don't get bored.  Actually, I didn't want it to end.  The way they approach the animal aspect is so different from the usual animal films that you sort of forget that the tiger is what it is, making the movie more enjoyable, especially if you don't enjoy films with animals.

The only thing that annoyed me a bit was the accent.  The boy, Pi (no, the tiger is not called Pi, it's the boy) is Indian and although I'm a sucker for movies which are rich in culture, listening to the boy speak English with a heavy Indian accent for 2 hours did get a little tiring. Again, however, I got lost in the animation and that made me ignore the accent.

So, if you want a movie to watch on a Friday night, and haven't seen this one yet, you should.  I watched it at home, though I'm sure it would be even more amazing at the cinema!

Enjoy!
Claire


No comments:

Post a Comment